Thursday 13 July 2017

Eastland Daiso and other classroom fun


Eastland is one of the major shopping centres on my side of Melbourne.  As you would expect it's pretty big, and because of the distance from our home, we don't end up there very often.  As I mentioned the other day, the first time I went there, two years ago, it ended up in tears for me.  Seven hours since lunch and never finding the restaurant, and having to decide what to eat from the food court at 8pm was never a recipe for my success.  Especially on a Friday night after work!  When Miss Mischief found out her response to Miss Sunshine and her Dad was "What?  You took her shopping and didn't feed her?  Are you stupid?"  Yep.  We do "direct" in our house like nobody's business.

Last year Dh and I went there for buy a birthday gift for Miss Mischief.  We lost the car.  Turns out we needed to go through the shopping centre doors on the other side of the wall to where we actually exited.  We forgot we had come in through Woolworths and not the exit right next to that one.  Like, 50cm away with a wall in between. 😣

Today I won!  I went all the way to Eastland, found the store I wanted, and then also found the car again afterwards.  No tears!  Miss Mischief came along to be my voice of reason in all things Eastland and shopping.

We found our intended target, Daiso, fairly simply with the help of the touch-screen map thingys.  Above is what we came out with.  The storage boxes have all the eleventy million disposable cups stored in them.  The shelf liner has been cut to size to fit the top of my washing machine.  I need to clean off the feet of our kitchen chairs to protect them with those perfectly sized felt circles.  The other things are for my classroom.  The white basket and hooks are magnetic so they'll be able to attach to my whiteboard.

Now that I know what's at Daiso I'll be able to plan trips there with added discernment.  I have to say, it is teacher heaven!  Everything is $2.80, if there is no other price attached.  There were some things that were more than that, but they were all over on one side of the store.  Once my classroom has been put back together (painting should have been completed, and I think carpet was scheduled to be laid today) I will be able to decide what I'd really like to have things the way I want them.

This is one of my new storage units.  Miss Sunshine and I spent some time last Monday labelling the boxes.  It took me a little bit of fiddling to get the label size right, but then it was a breeze to print, laminate and stick them on the inside of each tub.  I am very happy with how they turned out.  Not bad for a little creative ingenuity!


What's your favourite bargain store?  So far I'm leaning towards Arthur Daley's, and then Daiso was a very close second.

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Do you have Target stores Down Under? They're so ubiquitous here that it wouldn't surprise me to find they were global. I'm not sure they truly count as a bargain store, but their prices are reasonable and the design (clean lines, modern) is good.

There's a store around here called Roses, and it's definitely a bargain store, but it's a bit on the depressing side.

I hate shopping, and I was nearly in tears by the time I got to the end of your story about going to the mall and not being adequately fed.

xofrances

Tracy said...

We do have Target, but they are a far cry from the US version. We don't have that Target Dollar Spot I keep hearing about!!!!