Monday 9 January 2017

Rhubarb Harvest

My lush, full rhubarb plant

Before I began studying and then working full time I used to plant a summer garden - zucchinis, tomatoes, capsicums and beans were all growing nicely about this time of year.  Ahhhh, those were the days!  One day I was lamenting our lack of rhubarb plant to my mother, and what do you know, next time we saw them I was handed a plant from one of Mum's.

I managed to get that thing planted reasonably quickly (thank you Mr Busy!) and then we left it to do its thing.  More than anything I was stunned that it lived.  We are definitely gardeners of the "survival of the fittest" variety.  If anything takes special care it just doesn't survive.  Rhubarb, then, is my kind of plant.  Plant it and off it goes!

So after the OK from Mum, over Christmas, I harvested my rhubarb this week.  All I had to be wary of was making sure I left the new shoots alone.  I can do that!

My rhubarb plant all trimmed

I'm planning rhubarb muffins and apple and rhubarb crumble, using Shauna Niequist's Blueberry crisp recipe (from "Bread and Wine").  Miss Sunshine and Miss Mischief are off housesitting for some friends so I can go ahead and use the ground almonds to my heart's content!

My rhubarb harvest



No comments: