Monday 11 January 2016

Recipe: Warm Summer Spaghetti


We have been enjoying a warm summer spaghetti meal over the last two weeks.  Really, because Mum gave me a basil pot plant for Christmas.  She told me, right off the bat, she didn't believe I would plant it or keep it alive for any lengthy period of time; just that I would use it and enjoy.  Oh the relief of not having to keep something alive.  She knows this is not one of my skill sets.

The pot has been sitting on my bench and I've been watering it when the soil feels a tad dry.  The first thing I thought of was tomatoes and bocconcini, because that always goes perfectly with basil.  This is the result.  All those things mixed with pasta, spring onion and garlic.  Yum!

Warm Summer Spaghetti

mini roma or cherry tomatoes, quartered
spring onions, finely chopped
bocconcini, drained & the cheese gently torn into small chunks*
fresh garlic cloves(s), finely chopped
handful of basil leaves, finely chopped right before adding to the pasta
spaghetti - enough for your family

  1. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
  2. While the spaghetti is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Drain the spaghetti in a colander, and while it drains, return the pot to the heat and allow the water to dry out.
  4. Turn the heat to low; add some butter and once melted, add the garlic and salute gently until cooked.
  5. Turn the heat off and add a little olive oil; return the spaghetti to the pot and toss to coat with the garlic butter and oil.
  6. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and toss gently.  Add a little oil if you think it's too dry.
  7. Serve and enjoy.
* I tear each ball into about four pieces; be gentle with them!

I haven't really given quantities here because it depends on how many people you're feeding.  For the five of us I use 2 spring onions, 2 garlic cloves and a small container of the mini romas.  I get the bocconcini from Aldi and use two small tubs (that's the only size they have).  Sorry, I have no idea of the weight.  I do know that I get to eat a couple of bocconcini balls myself (cook's privilege!!).


You're welcome!

No comments: