Tuesday 19 August 2014

Shopping the pantry/refrigerator for a frugal menu

I am in a rut.  It's not a pleasant rut and I wish I could wriggle and inspire myself out of it, but it doesn't seem to be happening.  What I have learnt in the last few years is that when I am busy and my mind is completely focused in other areas, cooking a meal at the end of the day is this hugely stressful mountain to climb.  Which is silly.  I can cook a meal almost with my eyes closed, I've been doing it so long.  I think it is more that it's another thing I need to get done in the day.

This past weekend I just could not get to the supermarket.  At. All.  I worked really hard on Friday night to get some assignment work done.  I was out all day Saturday, home long enough to cook a dessert and then out for dinner.  Slept all afternoon on Sunday to recover.  But no shopping.  And no desire to shop.  But I have some stuff floating about in the places I keep food so I've cobbled together a menu that requires no shopping beyond some butter, bread and fruit.  Here we go:

Monday:  Meatloaf, vegies (last of my Costco mince)
Tuesday:  Pasta with bacon & tomato sauce (another of my meals made with Costco staples)
Wednesday:  Beef casserole (bought the meat last week and didn't end up making that meal)
Thursday:  Freezer meal (because whatever...I just can't do it every night!!  and thank you Costco)
Friday:  Tuna and rice (Dh brought home an abundance of milk...tuna always in the cupboard)

As of Friday there will officially be 3 lamb chops and about half a kilo of chicken thigh fillets.  I really will need to shop next weekend, but for now I'm pretending supermarkets don't exist.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I really need to meal plan and go shopping today but we have all been sick so it has been a bit of whatever is in the fridge or freezer this week. I am craving something a little more fancy this week for us.

Six Little Hearts said...

Totally hate shopping in the supermarket!
These days I shop entirely online including groceries. I have better things to do with my time just like you!
I need to start this meal planning thing instead of allowing myself to stress out every afternoon.

Aroha @ Colours of Sunset said...

I am just sick of cooking the same things all the time! Same 10 dinner items on rotation here. And I don't even keep things in the house that I'd be able to just "throw together" if we dont go to the grocery store, we dont eat! Luckily for me my husband typically does the majority of the grocery shopping! -Aroha (for #teamIBOT)

EssentiallyJess said...

I'm in a recipe rutt at the moment too. I keep meaning to make a meal plan, but so far it hasn't happened.