Saturday 9 August 2014

Books on my shelf...


I have been ordering up myself a little storm of books in the last month.  That ill-informed 'break my heart....' prayer was the catalyst.  I'm not normally a non-fiction reader, by choice, but I am about to change all that.  I suspect my heart will be broken even further, but I'm  hoping the first three books on my pile will bring hope and a way forward as well.

The Nesting Place is there because my house has always been 'functional', but not particularly 'beautiful'.  I'm hoping to gain some inspiration and some direction.  I feel an imminent shedding of 'stuff' and more deliberate choices are on the horizon.  A balance of nostalgic items and how to organise rooms to reflect our history and our current place in life.

And children's picture books because life is too short to be without them.  The Swap and Granny Grommet and Me are both shortlisted for Children's Book Week this year and they are just beautiful.  The Vegetable Ark is a slant on the Biblical story of Noah's Ark - a great book for teaching critical literacy, especially in a Christian school.  And whatever else they are, they are just lovely stories that simply had to join the collection on my bookshelf.

2 comments:

Kate @rosehipsrhubarb said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my blog this morning. Homelessness is such a huge and often hidden issue.

I love your list of books. Is the Nesting Place book any good? We've been doing some renovations (dividing two connected rooms to make an extra bedroom and renovating a bathroom) and now the dust is settling I feel the urge to organise, declutter and beautify.

BTW, I still have your embroidered picture on the table by my front door and I often think about you :-)

Tracy said...

I have just finished "The Nesting Place" and really enjoyed it. It was definitely written for me - I have been paralysed by a "do it perfectly or don't do it" belief. I am actually thinking of painting my kitchen cupboards. I don't like them and paint is way cheaper than a whole new kitchen!!! If I had all the time in the world...

Also - Myquillan's pictures throughout the book are of her own house and I love the creativity and quirk.