Friday 27 June 2014

The Parenting Files: 18 Year Old Confidence

Sketch by Miss Sunshine

Miss Sunshine and I had a thing last night.  She's not terribly demonstrative about her feelings towards her family.  I am, a little bit.  I'm a mother who knows the day will come when she will move out and I'll no longer get to have her in my see-you-every-day life anymore and I want to be all hugged up and goodnight kissed up before she goes and leaves the nest.  We're talking one decent moment a day.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable.  She does.

This morning, after our thing last night, I went in to wake her and asked permission to sit on her bed.  Because you can never be sure if that would be considered unreasonable by an 18yo independent person.  She moved.  I sat.  I told her how much I love her and then I looked up at her sketches on the wall and marvelled aloud that she would be so amazingly talented because Dh and I are not.  Not with art, anyway.   II remarked "You're just so amazing".  She looked at me with this funny little smirk and shiny eyes.

"You really want to say 'I know' but you don't think you should, don't you?"

She nodded.

I walked away howling with laughter.

Amazing and hilarious - that's my girl.

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Well it is darned good.

Maybe she also got your writing gene.