Thursday 24 April 2014

Wierdest Morning Ever - Teaching Teachers!


I have just had the weirdest morning ever, in my professional life.  I, the student teacher, presented to experienced teachers in our school a framework for creating authentic assessment tasks for students.  That feels completely ironic to me!  I pondered for a little while about what right I could possibly have in teaching these things to teachers who have been doing this job far longer than I.

I learnt this morning that not all teaching degrees are created equal.  In the midst affirmation and encouragement one recently graduated secondary teacher informed me the topic I presented this morning was never offered in her degree program.  She was thrilled that her employer would offer internal Professional Development that could fill in the gaps and give her the tools she needs to be the best teacher she can be.

And that is, I suppose, where the right to teach experienced professional is conceived.  When we work as a team we share what we know for the benefit of developing our colleagues.  In schools that flows through to students receiving the best education we can offer.  In essence though, it is operating as the body of Christ - each of us fulfilling our role.  None of us thinking ourselves better or more important than the other even if others may ascribe importance to one part more than another.

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm very much in favor of students teaching teachers for the reasons you list. We all have gaps that need filling in, and no matter how inexperienced, we all have something to offer of value. Sounds like your strange experience was a good one!

xofrances