Monday 30 December 2013

Recipe: Ice-Cream Winner


Unfortunately the photo above is all that is left of last night's chocolate ice-cream.  I've mentioned this recipe before and it has become a very firm favourite in our household.  The recipe comes from Nigellissima, and of course I've tweaked it a little.  Firstly because I don't keep the liqueur she uses and secondly because our sweetened condensed milk comes in tins that are double the weight stipulated in the recipe.  The original recipe for 'no churn coffee ice-cream can be found here.  I've tried a couple of different variations to the basic idea of this recipe - they are below for your summer enjoyment.

Chocolate Ice-Cream

1x 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
1x 600ml container thickened cream
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (or more if you want it stronger)

Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whip until the consistency of whipped cream.  
Pour into an airtight container and freeze for at least six hours.
I find my freezer makes this pretty hard so we put it in the fridge about half an hour before I want to serve it and it scoops out perfectly.

Caramel Ice-Cream

1x 395g tin 'top 'n fill' sweetened condensed milk
1x 600ml container thickened cream

Method as above.

~oo0oo~

This recipe is incredibly easy and quick to make.  I did this first thing Sunday morning for guests that evening whilst sipping my morning cup of tea, given the mixer truly does all the work it was absolutely no burden and took no more than five minutes.  I think you'll find it difficult to go back to commercial ice-cream after trying this.  I'm wondering how it would go with lemon zest and a little lemon juice rather than the cocoa.  When my lemons start to ripen I'll let you know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Probably the thing I miss most with our move is our abundant lemon tree! I hope the new owners enjoy it.
Julie