Wednesday 27 November 2013

A Day for Resting


I got up and got dressed for work this morning.  Then I changed my mind.  And my clothes.  For the past week I've been fighting off and then succumbing to a head cold.  My body feels OK, but my head hurts.  Especially when I cough, which is often.  Yesterday my Head of Primary suggested I was unfair to bring my germs with me to work.  Today I conceded defeat and gave in to stay home on the couch.

It is exactly one year and one month since I was last laid out with a cold - I know because it was the last time I sent a text to let school know I wouldn't be at work.  A whole year!  After being sick twice the year before I wanted a whole year, and I got it.  I think now I need to aim for....well....five years seems good to me.  I wasn't willing to admit this cold either.  The kids were saying "Mum, you're sick" and I was in denial saying "No...no I'm really not".   It worked in May when I was on teaching rounds and couldn't take time off.  My sore throat never progressed beyond just that.  I won that one!  I thought I could win this one too.

My recipe for getting better?  Three hours with Anne of Green Gables and three hours of sleep.  A perfect balance, wouldn't you say?  That and plenty of cold/flu medicine and Vicks Vapodrops to "soothe the throat and clear the nose".  I was going to have a little nap and then have lunch and watch some episodes of Nigella, but....well....I didn't wake up.  No lunch.  No Nigella.  And you know what?  I haven't slept three hours in a row for over a week.  It was bliss.  I didn't even cough once I'd settled.  Fortunately I woke in time to go and pick the kids up from school!!

I'm out for the next two evenings and I have a precious little 5yo niece coming on Friday afternoon so I hope by tomorrow my nose will have settled and there will be fewer coughing fits to be endured.  Maybe more Anne of Green Gables is required?



2 comments:

Joolz said...

Sorry you're not feeling too good. That is a great way to shake off your cold, though. I love Anne of Green Gables!

Hey, I must say I have had trouble getting my comment to go through with the comment moderation thingy. On my iPad, I gave up, I reckon I tried 10 times and it would not go through, just kept giving me a new number and set of letters to copy.

Lets see if it works now....

Tracy said...

I'm sorry you' e had such a hard time. I was getting a lot of spam so this was the only way to prevent it. Blogger and iPad's are not good friends. They don't play nice. I have been having trouble with the verification thingys because they are so hard to see sometimes.

You succeeded this time though! Thanks for your get well thoughts. I do feel better today, but I don't sound like it!