Wednesday 20 March 2013

In which the Microwave returns

My microwave oven is back in its usual place, performing the work it was created to do.  It's a little bit symbolic of all being right with the world again.  It is amazing to me that such a seemingly small part of life being turned upside down could become such a huge daily challenge to be overcome.  It reminds me of the example of the ripple effect of a stone being thrown into a pond and the ripples impacting everything around the entry point.

 I don't know about you but I often respond to the ripples in life by being frustrated, unable to get past the pebble having being cast into the water in the first place because too much of my life is being made difficult.  In the past few weeks I've found it hard to remember to get meat out of the freezer, and oh the repercussions that has caused.  A tiny step out of the caravan has caused some major repercussions about the way I do what I normally do and having to think about making my movements more efficient....or just being unable to do some things.  I guess this is why God tells us to cast our cares on Him and to rely on Him when we feel like we can't do it ourselves - those ripples can get pretty rough sometimes.

In the meantime the ripples in my life, albeit relatively small things, are subsiding.  The microwave is back, I can nearly walk down steps normally and all my children are home after being scattered about the State over the past few weeks.

I still understand why Aboriginal people send their teenaged boys out into the desert for a few months to learn to be a man.  And why they are not allowed to speak with their mothers personally thereafter.  Some ripples are not so easily set aside.

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

"unable to get past the pebble having being cast into the water in the first place because too much of my life is being made difficult."

This is me! That's where I so often get stuck when something goes wrong.

So glad you have a microwave, you're getting about more easily, and your children are big. I'm with you and the Aborigines!

xofrances