Wednesday 27 February 2013

Life in the Microwave-less Fast Lane



The past two weeks have been really tiring and busy and FUN!  I'm two days away from completing this block of teaching rounds and I have loved every minute.  You know what though?  Prep children (first year of school) are really hard work!  Especially when you teach them in the afternoon of the day before their mid-week break. 

One of the things I love about my practicum school is that the teacher does home visits on the students' day off.  Many schools have a policy where Prep children have Wednesday off to rest and regroup for the rest of the week.  I tagged along today, with permission from each of the parents, and got to visit the children in their homes.  We got to see bedrooms, favourite toys, outdoor swing sets, cubby houses and trampolines.  And pets.  One Mum had laid out a beautiful light lunch, which was a lovely surprise.  It has been such a special day to visit with each little person and their younger siblings and parents.  I can't wait to go back in May and spend some more time with this bunch of precious little people and their amazing teacher.

In the meantime dinner has been pretty late and fairly light.  It's just too warm to be excited by hot meals.  Until today.  It's finally cool.  It has been a bit of a challenge to be organised for dinners due to the recent death of yet another microwave oven.  Fortunately it is under warranty and we'll have it repaired.  I don't normally think about getting meat out of the freezer in the morning because our microwave is really good with defrosting meat, but I'm having to get my head into that routine at the moment.  I'm not sure if I miss the microwave or not...I do miss the ability to be a little more flexible though.  Yeah...perhaps I do need it after all.

2 comments:

Joolz said...

Gee, my microwave is probably 20 years old and still going strong (touch wood). We mainly use it for heating up left overs, making custard and sauces and gravies. I have never cooked a chook in it, or a cake. I love mine as it is big and has a huge turntable which will fit a big oblong lasagne dish in it. I think I may cry when it dies....

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We pretty much only use our microwave for popcorn and melting butter and chocolate, but I'm sure I'd miss it if it died.

I love the idea of visiting students in their homes. How lovely!

xofrances