Tuesday 12 February 2013

Celebrating Others Through Food


Over this summer I've done two more units for my degree - both finish up this week.  One of the units has been about cultural awareness with a focus on indigenous Australians.  I've often found the lectures long and rambly.  Even boring at times.  Yet I have learnt so much about myself, what I believe and feel about people difference from myself and where my beliefs come from.  I am feeling incredibly blessed to have experienced living overseas as a white minority.  It's an unusual circumstances and much of who I am today is because of that experience.  This week seems to be a celebration of other cultures, as if everything over my summer has all come together at the end of it all.

Sunday was Chinese New Year.  We had Yum Cha bits and pieces along with an Asian noodle soup (pictured above).  It was really good, considering it was more of an idea than a recipe.  I've had leftovers for lunch for two days.  Yum.  Today, of course, is Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day).  Although this is not a practice of a particular racial group, it is something done by people whose religious practices differ a little from mine.  So tonight we're having cannelloni made from crepes.  I hate stuffing those silly pasta tubes so I always make crepes to make this dish.  It's cooking right now and a salad is all that will accompany it.

This afternoon the Prep's made pancakes too.  Every child got to put something into the bowl, or mix the batter.  A parent did the cooking for us.  And then we got to eat.  Yum!  What a great way to end the day.

Salad preparation awaits......what's on your plate for dinner tonight?

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm making chicken-broccoli stir-fry tonight. I actually don't stir-fry much, so this is a bit of an experiment. Oh, I'm an adventurous cook! I would like to try more Indian food, but I fear I'm the only one around here who would eat it!

xofrances

Unknown said...

I love your blog and am a new follower.
Elle
http://chocolatecoveredkaleblog.blogspot.com/