Tuesday 22 January 2013

The 'Nigellissima' Journey Begins

I received 'Nigellissima' for Christmas a few weeks back and my journey into the book has begun.  I poured over it for a couple of weeks and then the TV series began.  Now I not only have the book but a living example of what I might expect from the recipes.

I began with the Italian Chicken with Peppers and Olives...only not so much the olives.  I like them alright, but I don't have any in the cupboard right now and I can happily do without.  I've done this now twice with peppers, red onions (instead of leeks, because it's what I had) and garlic cloves (unpeeled).  Oh. My. Goodness.  If you like peppers you will fall in love with this as well.  Look how colourful those peppers are in the bottom of the dish!  And when they're roasted under the chook they go really sweet with some just soft and some caramelised.  YUM!  They also make great leftovers for my lunch.  Best of all no one else in our really loves peppers like I do so they're all mine.  Yes indeed, I'm in love.

Photo Credit: bbc.co.uk

The other night I also made the One-Step, No-Churn  Coffee Ice Cream.  Well....I made chocolate and without the liqueur - again not something I generally keep.  The girls and I had that for dessert last night.  I am telling you there is not a simpler nor more beautiful ice cream to be made at home.  It is smooth, creamy and delicious.  Not bad for 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of your time.  I kid you not, it almost takes longer to get the ingredients out than it does to whip them up.  Mine looked exactly like the picture, sans brioche bun.  Next time I'll double it so I use up the whole tin of condensed milk.  Everyone will be happier to see there's some leftover for another time!

Next up?  Squid Spaghetti on Friday night.

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Wow, I'd like to see that ice cream recipe! I bet my boys would like it.

Now as far as Squid Spaghetti? Hmmm ... you'll have to convince me, Tracy!

xofrances

Travel With Lulu said...

Really? That ice cream recipe is right up my alley - no fuss and delicious. Yum!