Monday 5 November 2012

Recipe: Banana & Choc Chip Muffins (gluten and cane sugar free)

I have been doing a small amount of kitchen investigation.  You might remember that I mentioned banana and choc chip muffins that were far too sweet.  As it happens I'd not put in half the flour, as the white and wholemeal flours were listed separately.  I did think it was a runny mixture at the time!

Yesterday I wanted something quick for an impromptu picnic lunch, so I tried removing all the brown sugar and golden syrup completely and instead used two large soup spoons of honey instead.  They turned out beautifully, even with the use of gluten free flour.  A perfect end to a lovely picnic on the banks of the Yarra River in Warburton on such a beautiful warm, sunny day.  The recipe below is as I made it yesterday with a note with the original alternative.

Banana & Choc Chip Muffins

2 cups self raising flour*
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
60g butter, melted
2 spoonfuls honey**
1 cup bananas, mashed
1 cup milk
1 egg
125g (1/2 cup) choc chips

  1. Combine the flour and bicarb soda in a large bowl.
  2. Melt the honey and butter together, in a pot on low heat, or in the microwave.
  3. Add the honey & better, bananas, milk and eggs and mix well.
  4. Fold the choc chips through the mixture.
  5. Spoon mixture into lined muffin pans.
  6. Bake for approximately 20 minutes at 180C (160C fan-forced).
  7. Remove from the oven and cool on a cake rack.
*  Alternatively use 1 cup white flour and 1 cup wholemeal flour (both self raising) if desired.
**  Alternatively use 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon golden syrup, melted with butter on low heat.

What I love about these muffins is that with gluten free flour they have no cane sugar products in them at all.  The sweetness comes from the bananas and honey.  Although I use honey and maple syrup with reluctance they do not appear to give me the same symptoms as sugar.  I've popped these little beauties into the freezer for me to have one every now and then if I am craving something cakey and sweet.  It is a bleak future to consider that cake might be out of the question forever and ever!

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

These look/sound wonderful. I love recipes like this that keep the sugar low!

xofrances

Tracy said...

Not only do they look good - they taste very yummy!