Tuesday 12 June 2012

This is where I'd love to be these days....a familiar classroom that feels like home.  Mr Busy spent a year in this room and I've spent a few more than that.  I feel a little bit homesick for the familiar.

My exam went fine.  I was done in just over an hour and wondered if that was too quick.  But I'd answered all the questions and was only stumped on a couple, totalling 3.5 marks.  We'll see if I interpreted the questions acurately now!  One of my fellow students offered to organise an alternate venue just a 1/2 hour drive from home so I took her up on that.  It was so nice to tootle around down country roads into the edge of the suburbs, rather than battle peak hour traffic into the city.  First thing in the morning. 

I rushed back to school and taught my first full, whole-class lesson straight after that.  It went well.  It was a toughy.  Because fractions-of, decimals and percentages bend the brain a little.  But it went well, the kids mostly got the hang of it and they're well on their way.  The teacher was full of praise, which is always nice to hear....and he's excited about a morning of sitting back tomorrow.  I'm excited about teaching English instead of maths!  Reading to the kids, playing a verb/adverb charade game and getting the kids to do a descriptive writing game is just right up my alley.

But I still miss 'home'.

I've just spent an hour investigating a new-to-me site called Scootle.  It's something Our School has given staff access to if they want it - I'm super impressed.  Wish I'd looked at it well before now.  I know I'm going to have lots of fun using it.  It's all linked in with the new Australian Curriculum and is chock full of really fantastic interactive resources that are levelled according to year levels.  So much fun to be had!!!!

1 comment:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm so impressed you can teach fractions! I'm not much of a math person, as I think you know. So glad the exam went well and the teaching went well. You're on your way!

xofrances