Tuesday 8 May 2012

Community.....

One of the challenges of moving to a new church is chiseling out a new community for yourself.  I have some very particular ideals around what community is within the church and the importance of giving of yourself for the benefit of the whole group.  It's that whole 'body of Christ' thing and being willing to play your part.  Moving to a new church has challenged me - how do I play my part when I haven't figured out quite where I fit....and when I'm not in a position to invest into ministeries during this season of life?

We're enjoying our new church.  We love the teaching, we love the provisions made for all different age groups and the way they intentionally plan to keep people engaged across all the generations.  We love the way our children are encouraged to be involved.  But I've missed close friendships and shared history that you develop over years of worshipping and minstering together with a group of people.  We came to this church knowing it was the right place and knowing that developing meaningful friendships would be difficult - it's a logistical challenge of bigger congregations!

Just as I was missing 'community' within my new church family in a meaningful way we were invited back to a friends' home for a cuppa...which turned into a casual lunch.  These aren't new friends, we've known this family for years and have come to know them better over the last 12 months.  But their spontaneous gift of hospitality was something precious right when I needed it. It was like a little shot of garden fertliser to help me flourish in this new garden.

How do you flourish in the place you've been planted?

2 comments:

Squiggly Rainbow said...

We as you know have had to try and flourish, I chose to step out of my box and try not to wait to be invited, but to invite others to me. xxx

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I too have been in a larger congregation for the last two years, and it is a challenge finding a place in the community. It takes time, I think. For me, I've found the best thing is to be involved in Bible studies and book studies, but I suspect you don't have the time for that right now. I hope your friendship with your already-friends flourishes and puts you in touch with other members of your congregation.

xofrances