Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sushi


We spent the past Easter weekend away with some friends, which necessitates a bit of food organisation between our two families.  We each do two dinners, bring our own breaky stuff and figure lunch out in the middle there somewhere.  Seeing as how I had a house full of potential 'guinea pigs' I figured it would be the perfect time to try making sushi.  Because all new recipes should be tried the first time when other people are relying on the outcome.  Actually, I don't necessarily believe that, it just seems to be the way it always works for me.  Something about the buzz of someone else to feed and being inspired by all the yummy things available.

I went and watched a friend making sushi a week or so back and she made it look easy.  I figured if she could do it so could I.  And you know what?  It was.  My sushi easily looked at well done as if I had bought it...apart from a few stray grains of rice stuck to the outside of the rolls.  Man that rice is sticky!  I filled mine with smoked salmon, cucumber and carrot.  I did a couple with ham for Miss Sunshine who does not like smoked salmon.  And we wouldn't want to waste such a precious ingredient on one who wouldn't appreciate it anyway!

All in all, a great success.  I may just post a recipe sometime soon.  I have a numeracy competency test to complete before I do anything else....and I'm back at work tomorrow.  How is it that holidays seem to go by so fast?

2 comments:

Rel said...

I've been meaning to make sushi for ages as it is one thing that Miss C loves (only with avocado though!). Glad to hear your attempt was a success!

Tracy said...

I wanted to put avocado in it - I couldn't get any that weren't rock hard!