Wednesday 4 April 2012

Sugar is Evil...Want to know why?

During February our church engaged in a church-wide fast.  We've never been in a church that really taught much on fasting so it was a new experience - sad to say such a thing at my age.  Our pastor gave some really solid teaching about the how-to's and the how-not-to's and what to expect.  One of the gems he shared was that sometimes the revelations we seek come after the fast is finished.

I chose sugar as the thing I fasted and set some very clear intentions for what I was praying about. One of the things I was seeking was for God to reveal what I needed to know about my health and wellbeing in a variety of areas.  Turns out my pastor was right.  The revelation came after the fast ended and I returned to my normal sugar consumption, which is pretty low compared to a vast majority of people these days.  How I felt after eating sugar is the same as how I feel when I eat wheat.  Hmmmmmmm, interesting.  Last night, after pondering this for quite some time (Uni started and I got busy, ya know) I decided to google my way about the internet and see what I could find.  Well I found gold in the form of yet another YouTube clip.  I found a lecture presented by Dr Robert Lustig called Sugar: The Bitter Truth.  The lecture begins with him discussing the formula for weight loss and how incorrect it is.  Just because you eat less calories than you expend does not mean you'll lose weight.  He had me completely, right there.

Did you know that fructose is metabolised in the very same way as ethanol (alcohol) and causes the same damage?  Did you know that the message to eat less fat coincided with the increase of heart disease?  Did you know that when we decreased our fat intake we increased the amount of sugar we eat?  Didn't think so.  Grab a cuppa and watch this video.  Yes it'll take some time, but it might be an hour and half that makes you a healthier person.  And let me know what you think.  I'm off to google some more....because I think I'm avoiding my assignment!

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
 

3 comments:

Squiggly Rainbow said...

Interesting.... I will watch this when I have time. I was recommended a book called "Sweet Poison"... I think there is a website too... I am addicted to sugar at the moment - oh dear - looks like I may need to face this challenge! xxx

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I've spent the last year or so cutting back on sugar. It occurred to me that I almost always felt sick after I ate it, and then I started reading books about how the body processes carbohydrates and had a better understanding of how bad sugar is for us. I still indulge a bit, but I pass up all sorts of stuff just because I know I'll feel awful if I eat it.

It's interesting that this stuff doesn't get discussed more. I've found it really fascinating.

xofrances

Tracy said...

It's a bit scary, really, that such things are not discussed more! I need to address this, in my diet, with a bit of urgency.