Thursday 9 February 2012

Recipe: Osso Bucco

Remember a couple of months ago I was intent on using up the beef that was in my freezer?  I think I have found a use for the last of it.  A few weeks back I tried out a recipe for osso bucco, since I had some pieces of it amongst the beef that we received.  Turns out this is a very simple recipe, but really, really tasty.  No, I mean *really*.  Mr Busy is always wary about new things and even he was won over with the first bite.

There are many recipes about the place for this, mine came from my Family Circle Italitan cookbook.  Last night we had this again, only I used up the last of the eye fillet and round steak....and it still tasted really good.  Of course the marrow in the osso bucco adds flavour and Miss Mischief wasn't able to eat the marrow when we were done - a particular delicacy in her mind.

Osso Bucco


1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
1 brown onions, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup (40g) plain flour, for coating
Salt & freshly ground pepper
8 (about 1.5kg) veal osso bucco
1 cup (250ml) white wine
400g can diced tomatoes
1 cup (250ml) beef stock
Creamy mashed potato, to serve

1.      Preheat oven to 160°C (fan forced). Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until softened. Remove from pan and set aside.

2.      Season flour with salt and pepper. Coat osso bucco in flour, shaking off any excess. Heat remaining oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until well browned. Transfer meat to a large ovenproof dish. Spoon over the vegetables.

3.      Increase pan heat to high and add the wine. Boil for 2 minutes, scraping any tasty bits off the base of the pan. Stir in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Pour over the meat in the dish. The meat should be covered by the liquid. Cover with a lid and cook for 1 3/4-2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce thickens.

4.      Serve accompanied by the mash.


I haven't had any white wine around when I've made this so I just increased the beef stock - you really do need the liquid quantity.

3 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Looks wonderful--you're giving me a lot of great dinner ideas these days, which I badly need. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut, and I can tell the boys feel this way, too.

xofrances

Tracy said...

I hate food ruts because I don't enjoy my meals then...and I want to. Sometimes the energy just doesn't match the desire!

Joolz said...

I first cooked Osso Bucco last winter when MasterChef featured a recipe. Definitely a keeper recipe.

Cheers - Joolz