Thursday 19 January 2012

Pineapple Triffle...TiraMisu...Something

 Pineapple Triffle...Tira Misu

OK, so I got bored yesterday.  Yes, I did.  I can't imagine what came over me, but I found myself in the kitchen making a dessert.  My family thought Heaven had arrived on earth.  I only do dessert when visitors are at our table, and last night there was just us.  And a blowfly.  Blowies don't count as guests, so you can imagine how excited everyone was.

I made one of our favourite pineapple desserts and kind of twisted it to use up a pack of sponge finger biscuits I'd had in the pantry.  Voila - a pineapple tira misu kind of triffle thingy.  Whatever you want to call it, it was very, VERY yummy.

Pineapple Dessert

1 packet vanilla pudding
600ml cream + a little milk
1 can crushed pinapple, drained (reserve the juice)
1 pack sponge finger biscuits.
  1. Begin by whipping the cream until it forms peaks - but make sure they're soft and floppy.
  2. Sprinkle the pudding mix on top and whip lightly until thoroughly mixed.  You might need a little milk to thin the mixture a bit. Do this a little bit at a time.
  3. Add the drained crushed pineapple and mix until thoroughly combined.
  4. In a rectangular dish, lay sponge finger biscuits that have been dipped in the reserved juice. 
  5. Over the biscuits, spread about half of the pineapple mixture.
  6. Lay another layer of dipped biscuits over the pineapple and then top with another layer of the pineapple mixture.
  7. Cover with cling film and leave overnight.
This is good enough for company and very quick.  The pineapple cream is something we would normally do whilst camping - hence the packet of vanilla pudding.  The only time I ever have them in the house is during summer whilst camping.  I didn't use any during our last camping trip.  I'm going to have to tizz up the chocolate ones now too.  Aren't I?

Summer days and cold desserts.  A perfect pair.

No comments: