Wednesday 25 May 2011

When Noise is too Noisy

Is it just something that comes with age?  Or is it just me?  I don't know, but this is how noise seems to feel.  There is such a relief when students are silent at the end of a noisy lesson of productive work, or when the TV is turned off.  Or when the radio in the car gets turned off.  Sometimes that type of noise just gets in my ear and I can't think until it's gone.  There is bliss in the silence!

I find it interesting how different people are.  Some of us need silence in our homes.  Some of us need the company of background noise to feel settled.  Personally, I am content with the company of my own thoughts.  There are so many running around in my head at the moment that I need space away from noise to do them all justice.

What relaxes you?  Constant noise, or silence?

4 comments:

Squiggly Rainbow said...

definitely silence!

Joolz said...

I get out of bed, put the kettle on then I turn on the TV for the morning show - catch up with news etc. If I am home all day, the TV is on all day too. Just occaisionally I will play music while I do housework instead.

debbie bailey said...

The older I've gotten, the more silence I want and need. I used to play classical music in the mornings, and now I usually don't. Sometimes I'll put on Mozart if I need to get going on a project.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm someone who always has a radio playing--usually set to a classical station, these days--and have been this way all my life. But this past year I've found myself long more for silence, and will turn off the music in the car and just drive. I've even started turning off the radio in the house, which is strange, but I'm learning to like the silence, even need it.

xofrances