Tuesday 24 May 2011

OK, I'll Try

I have felt the thrill of success in the past week.  One of the boys with whom I work has been really struggling.  Every instruction or request has been met with an angry or upset "No, I don't want to".  It is heartbreaking to see him struggle.  And it hasn't been fun to deal with his angry physical outbursts.  His teacher and I have had some pretty hard days.  I was given some time last week to sit down and write some social stories for this boy.  Our tough days have, for some part, turned into laughter as we've enjoyed a marked change.  We have a signal for 'listen', which includes cupping an ear with a hand.  He does this very well.  And then we're trying to teach him to say "OK, I'll try" instead of "No, I don't want to".  It often comes with a cheesy look on his face, and the hand signal (as above).  We giggle to ourselves, his teacher and I, because he's so cute.  And we are relieved to have found a measure of success.  For as long as it lasts.

Not every day is easy.  But they're better.  And now I understand what was meant when we were told that surviving isn't enough.  It's success that is the goal.  This week, this is success.  One child, saying "OK, I'll try" and then hopping off happily to do just that.

4 comments:

Squiggly Rainbow said...

That's great progress! Well done - you make a great team! xoxo

Joolz said...

It must make you feel so good to know you are making a difference in this childs life. Well done!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

What a wonderful post. Well done indeed! It's so exciting when you start to see results from all your hard work. Good for you for not giving up on this boy.

xofrances

P.S. My word verification is "blessup." Bless up. I like it!

Tracy said...

Thank you ladies. It certainly does feel good to get this far!

Frances, that is so cool!