Saturday 9 October 2010

Whisky Obsession


I've developed a bit of an obsession about whisks over the last few months.  I think it only fair to lay the blame squarely (and affectionately) at the feet of Nigella Lawson.  After all, it is because of watching (and re-watching!) episodes of her shows that I decided that a particular kind of whisk might be useful.   What I discovered, however, is that the 'magic whisk' is an incredibly difficult item to get your little hands on.  I have searched kitchen suppliers from Big W to House and even spent a fair amount of time in the US looking for this elusive whisk as well.  I managed to get a little tiny one that only measures about 15cm from top to bottom.  And I adore it.  Unfortunately that just led to me needing wanting a more practically-sized version, like this one below.

Last week I took Miss Mischief shopping so that she could spend a Borders gift voucher.  So while she searched for the perfect book, I indulged my love of cook books and drooled a little over the very newly released "Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home".  In it she named this particular whisk, and I have finally found an Aussie supplier and placed an order.  There will be no suffering the need for unwieldy silicon-coated whisks for me.  Nope, I've found the real thing!

I can't wait to get my parcel in the mail!  And then I'll have to do some whisking.  Pancakes for breakfast?  Scrambled eggs, perhaps?  Maybe a little marinade mixing.

* * * * * * * * * *

A side note about "Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home".  I balked at the $65 price tag for this albiet hefty book, at Borders ($59.95 online).  A few keystrokes brought up my favourite online booksellers and revealed a far better deal there.  The Book Depository has it for $31.14 and Amazon has it listed at $21.  Both are hardback prices.  The Book Depository is in AU$ and includes free worldwide postage.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi Tracy,
I'm with you, The Book Depository is great. I always check there.
The whisks don't reaaly do any thing for me but I love Nigella's cookie cutter collection and have quite a stash myself.

Tracy said...

If I were someone who loved baking I'm pretty sure I'd be right there with you Tracy.

Thanks for stopping by ~ long time no see!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Although I've never thought of looking for specialty whisks, I do really enjoy using my whisk--it's such a handy tool!

frances