Monday 27 September 2010

Monday Menu Plan: Week Beginning 27 September

We enjoyed our first barbecue of the season last night, with some friends whose chicken poxy daughter was happily released from her home-prison for the evening.  We have all had it or been immunised so we're as safe as people can be.  Yes...I know you can get it again, but none of us have thus far despite numerous encounters.  Besides, such a sunshiny day demanded barbecue and lemon meringue pie.  And I don't do desserts unless I have a good reason, so visitors were required for the occasion.

Our menu for the evening was very simple but all the more delicious with the company that shared it ~

Barbecued sausages and marinated chicken wings
Barbecued corn on the cob
Quick-roasted potatoes
Tossed salad
Lemon Meringue Pie

As for the week ahead?  More of last week's adventures I suspect.  A lot of reading and reviewing.  A lot more cleaning.  More visitors popping in as well as a birthday to celebrate for Miss Mischief.

Of course, there are many more meals ahead of me too!

Monday:  Oven Fried chicken, vegies
Tuesday:  Homemade Pizza
Wednesday:  Honey Mustard Pork Scallopine, vegies
Thursday:  Bacon Wrapped Chicken
Friday:  Finger food, after a big lunch
Saturday:  Lasagna (double batch for freezing)
Sunday:  Whatever Miss Mischief wants

If you're thinking this seems awfully repetitive, you're right.  My meals have been planned and then quite muddled up.  Whatever I have planned this week that was there last week and the week before are meals I didn't end up making for some reason or another.  Most likely, life got in the way and we were too busy to stop and heed the plan.

I was thinking about the way my plans have been unheeded and the meals that have resulted from things like arriving home at 6.30pm.  I think it's time to consider an SOS Storecupboard plan so that my stand-by meal is something I know we will all enjoy.  Frozen pies or quiches from the supermarket do not inspire my tastebuds one little bit.

What is your standby meal to counter unexpected busyness?

3 comments:

Crunchie's Mum said...

The slow cooker is my no time to cook standby. If I suspect we will arrive home late i spend 10 minutes in the morning throwing everything in the slow cooker and then there is a hot meal waiting for when we get home. Bliss.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Spinach linguine--frozen creamed spinach microwaved for 5 minutes then mixed in with cooked linguine, some parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg and salt. Easy, everyone likes it, barely any clean-up. My kind of meal!

frances

Tracy said...

Wow Frances, that sounds lightening-speed fast!!!! And really good. See, that's what I'm talking about! When you get caught unawares at the end of the day and you didn't know you'd need the crockpot, you need a meal like that. What a winner.