Sunday 11 April 2010

Savoury Glazed Meatloaf

I was going to get up and go for a walk....and then it rained. Rain with really strong wind behind it, so I decided to post a recipe instead.

After checking down my sidebar, I was amazed I haven't posted this recipe for Savoury Glazed Meatloaf before. Then again, I haven't made it in quite a while. Not sure why ~ it's pretty tasty! In any case, I made this the other night and we all remembered why we enjoy meatloaf. I've had some pretty ordinary meatloaf in my time, but this one's yum. In the past, I've mixed up the meat mixture and frozen it in the loaf pan so that I could avoid the whole preparation phase on a busy day.

Savoury Glazed Meatloaf

500g minced beef
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, chopped & sautéd
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
150ml evaporated milk (a small tin)
2 teaspoons mustard powder (or paste)
chopped parsley and crushed garlic to taste
Glaze
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
  1. Combine meatloaf ingredients to make a moist mixture. Press into a greased loaf tin
  2. Tun upside-down onto a tray lined with greased foil, leave tin over loaf.
  3. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes (180C/350F). Remove from oven, gently pour of any fat and remove tin.
  4. Combine the glaze ingredients in a cup and mix well.
  5. Coat meatloaf with the combined glaze ingredients. Do not replace loaf tin.
  6. Return to cook for a further 30 minutes.
I added a grated carrot this time. I also whizzed up 3 slices of rye bread to make the fresh breadcrumbs, and used it all...it was about 2 cups. Next time I would sauté the carrot with the onion as it was still a little crunchy.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

This sounds yummy!

Tracy said...

I made this last night, and it was a hit! Do you mind if I share the recipe on my cooking blog? Of course, I'll link back to you.

han_ysic said...

After making this I can't eat any other meatloaf without comparing. My mum got the recipe off my best friend's mum about 20 years ago. Where did you get it from?

Tracy said...

Tracy, I'm glad you all enjoyed it so much ~ sure...link back to me and post away :) Let me know when you do so I can take a peek?

Han_ysic I got this recipe from a lady who lives up in the northern corner of my state. A stereotypical country women's association type who just knows good hearty food that is tasty.

Tracy said...

It's up! Thanks!

http://mamasfixins.blogspot.com/2010/04/savory-glazed-meatloaf.html