Friday 12 February 2010

Vietnamese Prawn and Glass Noodle Salad

Photobucket

I found a fabulously simple recipe while tootling about Nigella Lawson's website the other day. Vietnamese Prawn and Glass Noodle Salad. Mmmmmm. I must confess to using tinned prawns, because the recipe called for small shrimp. I couldn't imagine any smaller than the tinned variety, not to mention the price fitted my grocery budget more ably than the fresh counterpart would have. So, this was my lunch today, with a nice amount left for lunch another day (or two!).

I'm not sold on the sugar snap peas in this recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love sugar snap peas when a little more cooked. I think they were a tad too raw for my taste, and I might be inclined to leave them out next time I make it. Then again, those of you who love raw sugar snaps and snow peas would probably love it.

Look at that ~ I actually got a photo out of my kitchen before the food was devoured! That's what happens when I'm home without the kids! I'm off to cook up more Nigella-inspired magic for a picnic lunch on Sunday at school....buttermilk roast chicken drumsticks. I even managed to plan my grocery budget to fit in the splurge of real maple syrup for the occasion.

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

You are definitely on a Nigella kick! That salad does look beautiful, and healthy, too. I for one love raw sugar snaps, so I'll be sure to give it a try.

If you could only recommend one Nigella cookbook, which one would it be?

frances

Tracy said...

I only have one book ~ 'Nigella Express' and I'm busily cooking my way through it at the moment and adoring every mouthful. That the recipes are quick, simple and have basic ingredients or things easily found is a real bonus.

I think I want 'Nigella Feasts' next.