Sunday 31 January 2010

Cooking Day

This saying sums up how my kitchen will look in the next couple of hours!

Today has been a scorcher of a summer day. 37C/98F is not really my idea of a fun time and I am again incredibly grateful to have cooling in our house for the second summer! Now that we've had a cool change and the breeze through the kitchen is blissfully refreshing I'm all set to get into my cooking plans for today. See...this is what I love about living in Melbourne!

I tried a new Maggie Beer recipe for chicken with raisins and pinenuts for dinner tonight. I love the combination of dried fruits with meat. It was everything I hoped it would be and more. YUM!

I'm about to further indulge my adoration of Hummingbird cake and make Hummingbird muffins with the bananas that need to be used up right away. I'll use gluten free flour for those. Then I'll make some chocolate muffins for the rest of the family.

While they're cooking I'm going to cook the meat sauce for lasagna with the kangaroo mince I've been trying to get to. I don't know that I'll feel energetic enough to make a whole lasagna....but at least I'll be half way there! The vegies are chopped and waiting for me, so I'd better hop to if I want to get to bed at a reasonable time!

4 comments:

Joy McD said...

I am so thankful for our cooling too, I actually get something done instead of wilting... :)
Yesterday we got chicken pieces for $3.98kg at coles and I cooked up a big tray in the oven. Enough for last night, tonight, and some leftover for a salad or sandwiches. I cooking extra :)
Is you kangaroo mince real 'roo?? Eeks! I'm not that adventurous!

Tracy said...

Yep...real roo in a vac sealed pack from Safeway. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not game enough to cook a roo roast or steak though.

Left-Handed Housewife said...

We've got 10 inches of snow here! I'll send some to you if you need to cool down.

Hummingbird cake ... yum!

frances

Tracy said...

Oh yes! I keep thinking of my BIL who lives in the States and has snow in winter. Days like these in high summer make me think Antarctica is sounding good!