Tuesday 4 August 2009

Axe to Grind


I have a complaint. If only my blog were popular enough for someone at the top of some major retail clothing chain...then I'd really be going somewhere with this!

August is the last month of winter, here in the southern hemisphere. In fact, August is often colder than June and July. For me, it is usually about the time when I am saying to myself "I really need some half way decent winter clothes that aren't a million years old". And then I'm inclined to start looking for winter things that will keep me nice and toasty warm.

I have two huge problems....the first is, no one seems to be making clothes that look like they would keep anyone warm. Seriously, what do people wear in the middle of winter? I want cosy roll-neck tops and long sleeve shirts made from some kind of substantial fabric. I want warm woolly jumpers to bury myself down in while I'm outside in the icy wind.

The second? No one is selling winter clothes, all of a sudden. They're even advertising summer clothes. What is that all about? Did I really miss something pretty big? I want to take some retail giant boss by the scruff of the neck and shake some sense into whomever that person is. Who on earth, in their right mind, thinks that we're ready to buy summer clothes in the dead of the cold part of winter? I don't even want to think about summer clothes until about November!!!!

Someone like me would be inclined to sew her own clothes and that presents a third problem. Spotlight doesn't sell dress-making worth fabric anymore. Remember the days when you could find any kind of fabric your heart might desire? They're long gone, apparently and I'm a little ticked. The problems with buying appropriate seasonal clothes is exacerbated by not being able to sew what you need either.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hear, hear!
I totally agree with you.

Would someone in the fashion industry please listen to this!

Hmm ... Maybe we should start a petition or something.

Crunchie's Mum said...

I agree as well. Kids are worse, they grow out of stuff overnight and then there is nothing but summer clothes to buy. Not helpful.

I also heartily agree about Spotlight. When they had competition they sold a huge range but now unless you want quilting fabric or cotton dressmaking fabric forget it.

Lynda

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Every year I need something new in the last month of summer or winter ... and every year I'm too late! It's definitely frustrating, especially where I live, where it stays warm until November.

I also get mad at the poor quality of summer clothes available--all very cheap stuff, even when the prices are high, which is why I'd like to sew more of my own clothes. Sadly, here too the age of the Very Fine Fabric store is over.

There's only one thing to do: we'll have to start weaving our own fabric with all that extra time we have on our hands ... LOL!

frances

Tracy said...

Beth, I seriously wonder how we would go about doing that.

Lynda, even their quilting fabric is of very ho-hum quality. I wouldn't bother using it, myself.

LOL Frances. We'd all be naked if we had to wait for me to weave in my spare time!!!! Not a pretty sight!