Thursday 11 June 2009

Guinea Pig

Many's the time we've invited friends over for dinner and I've gotten all excited about being creative and tried something new. Only to realise, as I was dishing up, that I had no idea how it would turn out, because I'd never made it before. Fortunately, I have never had a disaster occur. In fact, I think this is the pattern of my entertaining. I did it again on Mother's Day with the Panna Cotta I made!!!!! It has been a constant joke between my husband and I, the number of friends who have been my unwitting guinea pigs! However, none have complained and many have asked to be my guinea pigs again, so all is not as bad as it may seem.

I'm having a friend over for lunch today. It's been many long weeks since we've even had a cuppa together and it seems that having lunch has been hard to come by, between her work schedule and mine! In any case, she's coming over after supervising a VCE exam for a late lunch and I thought I might try the frittata above from 'The Cook and the Chef' last night. In my defense, I have made frittata's before. In fact I make myself a sweet one for breakfast with fruit a lot of mornings. I just haven't made this particular one! But it looks scrummy with potatoes, pumpkin and rosemary in it and ricotta on top. With a little side salad, I do believe my naturopath would be very excited and the number of vegetables involved! And it will make a yummy winter lunch.

* * * * * * * * *

On the subject of winter....we're right at the start of winter and the last few days have been C-O-L-D. Mr Busy's teacher lives just up the moutain from us and she said she had snow on Monday night. We never get it in Our Town ~ we're about 200m too low, but we've had heaps of hail and plenty of rain. Yesterday I had the kids rotating jackets, seeing what fits between the three of them and what Mr Busy can wear ~ the jacket the next size up from him is PINK. So he's got the maroon one that is miles too big...but he's certainly cosy buried down in there somewhere.

Meanwhile, my husband has only just succumbed to wearing a jumper (sweater). Late last week he was still in short sleeves. Where's the 'roll eyes' smiley face when you need it LOL.

5 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

If it weren't for dinner guests, I'd never make anything new! I know you're not supposed to, but like you, I don't think I've ever had a disaster.

If you're feeling too cold, imagine me here in this 90 degree (f) weather--summer has come on fast and furious up in my part of the northern hemisphere!

Hope lunch goes well!
frances

Tracy said...

Lunch was beautiful ~ I have leftovers. YAY. My friend had seen the same episode and seen the recipe and wanted to try it so she was completely thrilled.

I'm happy with my cold toes BTW. Beats dying of heat exhaustion any day! We've had our heatwave this year.

Joy McD said...

I've finally started wearing jumpers too :) It must be cold! We have the heater roaring at the moment, I have a quilt on my lap, a cat and a laptop... and still my toes are cold!!! But, like you, I am not complaining! I'd rather have cold...

Tracy Bentley said...

OH WOW!!!! cold weather. It is so hot here in Alabama right now. and summer has not offically started yet. I am a cold weather person myself, I really enjoy the fall of the year, which is Mid-September to November. I enjoy reading your blog, it gives me a look of how the other side of the world takes on their adventures. Keep up the good work. I also work in education so I completely understand your blogs. lunch looks great.

Tracy said...

If I could, Tracy, I'd send you some cold air to share around. Yesterday was bitter!

Joy, it doesn't surprise me that you've only just started wearing jumpers ~ you were wearing sleeveless tops in March when I had long sleeves on!!!!