Tuesday 12 May 2009

Polenta Crumbed Chicken

My friend Jodie asked if I would post this recipe, when I was talking to her today. It actually comes from another friend whose ideas I often steal. This one is worth the theft, especially if you can't eat wheat.

Polenta Crumbed Chicken

Chicken fillets ~ breast or thigh
buttermilk
parmesan cheese, finely grated
polenta
  1. Place the chicken fillets in a dish in a single layer and pour over some buttermilk. Not so it's swimming in buttermilk, but enough that both sides are in contact with it and allow to sit at least for an hour, or all day if possible in the refrigerator.
  2. In another dish, combine the polenta and grated parmesan. You could add finely chopped herbs, like parsley if you desire.
  3. Roll the chicken in the buttermilk as you remove it from the dish to ensure it is quite moist and then press the fillet into the polenta mixture and ensure both sides are well coated. The buttermilk will help it stick.
  4. Set aside in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.
  5. Heat some olive oil and butter in a fry pan and add the chicken fillets to the pan. When the chicken is browned on one side, turn the fillets over and cook until golden on the other side.
You will need to watch the chicken while it's cooking as the polenta is inclined to brown before the chicken is cooked so try and cook it on a medium heat.

I apologise for the lack of quantities, but it really is a meal where you just use enough to suit the number of people you're feeding.

There are any number of recipes you can use the buttermilk in. This week I will be trialling a gluten free scone recipe that requires buttermilk, so I'll let you know how that goes. You can use buttermilk in regular scones, muffins, cakes, pancakes etc.

* * * * * * * * * *

Mr Busy has enjoyed his birthday, despite his first experience with government instituted testing at school. I was at the supermarket at 7am picking up cornflakes to make honey joys so he could take them to school to share with his friends...and his teachers (both of them)....and the receptionist, and CRO and Principal and, lucky for her, the Head of Secondary! He's such a generous lad. Just as well the recipe made 24 and he only has 16 kids in his class LOL. The Principal did a swap with him: a honey joy for a lucky dip into the birthday container he keeps in his office for just such special occasions.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Could someone please explain to me how it is that everything that needs to be done has to be done in the one little bit of time in a week? I've just had a phone call from the Girls Brigade Captain (one of four phone calls in 5 minutes!!!!!!!) asking if we'll be at the Mother/Daughter night this week. ARRRGGGHHHH I'm meant to be popping in at my brother's place to pick some stuff up...could've managed that. But this week the girls will start later and finish when I'm meant to be 25 minutes away...and I have to make a stop on the way there! It's just not going to happen, is it?

6 comments:

Rel said...

What about squeezing in a movie night with some of your BFFs??

Tracy said...

As long as you're not after the same four hours of Thursday night there's a strong possibility :)

The Tin House said...

Tracy, re: the chicken - I make a similar breadcrumb based chicken - but I bake it in the oven. I lay the crumbed/coated pieces on baking paper/silicon mat and give them a small dousing of oil. You need about 25-30 minutes'ish cooking time. For me, this is easier than frying just because you're not worrying about turning the pieces before they burn.

Regarding your time issue. You clearly would benefit from a tardis. I thought the same thing on Saturday as I was in the casualty dept with one child with a broken hand, when I was meant to be 50km away with another playing soccer. And again today....I was at work when the phone call came from school to come and collect the accident prone one....I had to first get back to the car, collect the littlest one, and then drive 40km to collect the injured bird.

It sounds like I need to get a life that is better organised!!!!(failing that, the tardis will do...especially if it comes with David Tennant!!!lol x)

Lisa x

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm always amazed by the way all my meetings get scheduled for the same day. I'll go for days, even weeks, with nothing going on, and then suddenly everything has to be done on Thursday. It's crazy-making!

Glad Mr. Busy had a nice birthday!

frances

Tracy said...

I'll have to try it in the oven and see how it goes, Lisa. I used to do my schnitzel in the oven a long time ago.

I must confess I had to google tardis to find out what that was. Cool! I want one LOL.

I managed to come up with a workable plan so it's all OK. But the girls will miss girls brigade. Oh well.

Sam Jacob said...

Mmmmm........ always loved crumb chicken recipes.It sounds excellent.Must try it.Polente...sounds like that actress Franka Potenta.Cheers