Friday 1 May 2009

Lemon Butter


This lemony spread is beautiful...even when made by 8yo's! In fact there's was better than the one we tasted, in my opinion.

Lemon Butter
8 eggs
250g butter (1/2 lb)
4 cups sugar
juice & rind of 8 lemons
  1. Beat the eggs lightly and set aside.
  2. Combined butter and sugar and stir over a double boiler until the butter has melted.
  3. Remove bowl from the head and add the eggs, lemon rind and juice and mix well. You might need a hand beater to do this.
  4. Return to the heat and continue stirring until the mixture becomes thick like honey.
  5. Bottle in sterile jars. Seal with the lid immediately.
A double boiler is simply a saucepan of water on a medium boil with a bowl sitting over the top of it (not in the water). It is best to use a metal bowl, but I only have ceramic bowls and it just takes longer.

I took the mixture off the heat when it had thickened and I could see lines as I stirred, the same as what you would look for if you were wanting jam to set.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Miss Sunshine is home after a rather eventful camp. She braved the rock wall (climb up, repel down) but chickened out on the abseiling. I can't see the difference myself, but she just couldn't do it and I suppose there's a limit to how many fears a child can face in one week! Given that we've had the coldest April mornings in 50 years this week, the teachers nixed the idea of sleeping in a tent one night. Very sensible! She's had very late nights (for her) and so I will joyfully take myself off to book club tonight and leave Dh to deal with the irrational sleep-deprived behaviour that it sure to arrive at about the time I leave!

Tomorrow Miss Sunshine turns 13. Thirteen....I find myself wondering where the years went. And yet in the early years I thought we'd never get here. We are having a very quiet afternoon of DVD watching, eating and a quiet craft activity, for her and her fellow sleep-deprived campers! She has four friends coming so I'll look forward to reconnecting with the girls and hearing more camp stories.

And then we will eat nachos and cake! Oh, and fairy bread and cupcakes. No birthday party is complete without hundreds and thousands.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Congrats on being an official mother of a teenager!!

Tracy said...

This sounds delicious!

Happy Birthday Miss Sunshine!

Tracy said...

LOL. A dubious honour at times, this milestone, I suspect.

Despite being dog-tired, she's thrilled with the radio/clock/CD player. I'm thinking we might night to gaffa tape the volume control! A trip to Koorong this morning will also net her something to listen to that we all enjoy ;)

Left-Handed Housewife said...

Thanks for sharing the lemon butter recipe. It looks divine!

frances

Tracy said...

Give it a go...and enjoy :)