Saturday 10 January 2009

My Basil Surprise


Look what happened to the basil I bought, not so long ago! See...if you look carefully you will see little roots growing out of the bottom of the stems.

I find this very surprising. The basil was bought at the Safeway in Our Town, and I just shoved it in a glass, hoping to get to use most of it before it wilted, went smelly and died. But no, it's started growing. I believe I will need basil-striking lessons now! I've never had such wonderful basil that really wanted to grow!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done this on accident as well and planted the plants right outside with success. It works well just as long as you don't put the plants in the fridge (the leaves turn black). I have even taken Thai basil, plucked off and eaten all the leaves, and the stems still sprouted!

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I bought some live basil in the grocery store this week just to have it around to smell. Divine! It didn't last long, but it was worth it.

frances

Jeni said...

Hi
just love your blog and have left something for you on my blog
Jeni

Dianne said...

I have never bought fresh basil because I figured it would die before I got around to using it.

Isn't it wonderful when you get neat surprises like this?

The Vintage Rose said...

Thanks Stormy and Tracy this looks like its woorth a go, especially if it works with Thai basil to as mine died too quickly.