Thursday 18 December 2008

San Choy Bau

I've had some roast pork floating around in my fridge this week. The last has been used up today with a very tasty treat for my lunch. There is just a couple of spoonfuls left to go with some lettuce tomorrow. I don't know about anyone else but I'm really not terribly fond of reheated roasted meats. I can't even put my finger on what it is that I don't like about it, but I am pleased that I've finally figured out what to do with leftover pork!

I made san choy bau. This is an Asian entree dish that is often served at the beginning of a banquet style meal. I never have iceberg lettuce, so I will admit that on my red oakleaf lettuce it was a tad tricky to eat, and next time I think I'll just shred the lettuce and drizzle the meat over it and have it with a fork!

San Choy Bau

1 cup or so Leftover roast pork, cut into tiny little pieces ~ almost minced
1 spring onion
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
lettuce

  1. Heat a little oil in a small fry pan and add the pork. Stir and heat through.
  2. When the pork is just starting to brown, add the spring onion, garlic and ginger and continue to stir while that cooks ~ about 2 minutes.
  3. Add the sauces and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes.
  4. If using iceberg lettuce, carefully separate the cups and place a couple of spoonfuls of the meat mixture in each.
  5. Serve.
The other thing I thought of today, is that you could put all this into rice paper and make little rolls. Rice paper is easily available...even in our Safeway, so you should be able to get it in any good supermarket. The rice paper comes in stiff sheets in a packet. The oakleaf lettuce would look remarkable with it's red and green, done in the rice paper.

Just dampen the rice paper until soft. You would probably need to soak them for a moment in warm water ~ read the directions on the pack. Remove from the water and add some shredded lettuce and a spoonful of meat and roll up. With rice paper, you don't need to cook it. It's something you eat fresh, just like that. A great lunch idea for guests, I think.

4 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

This sounds lovely. Anything with hoisin sauce in it is okay by me.

I would like to have seen that pork roast floating around in your fridge, though. Did it fly out when you opened the door? ;)

frances

Dianne said...

Sounds delicious, Tracy. I use my left over pork by cutting it up in small chunks and browning it with onions and green peppers and then fixing a box of Rice-a-roni according to the package plus Uncle Ben's converted rice cooked according to the package and mixing the two different rices in with the pork, onions and peppers and serve. It is delicious and gives me at least two or three more meals.

Blessings,

Dianne

Tracy said...

LOL Frances you are funny. The container of pork was just getting pushed from here to there all week.

Tracy said...

That's an impressive result Dianne. My problem is that I just don't like those packaged meals ~sigh~. Life would be easier if I did!!!!