Friday 17 October 2008

Treasure Hunting

Something I love to do is poke through Op Shops (2nd hand shops). Over the years I've become a lot more intentional and focused in my op shopping though. After all, bringing home an armload of junk isn't really that productive...not when you turn around and throw it all away in the not too distant future! So I now have just a few specific areas that I poke through.

  • Kitchen Ware: I look at serving dishes, pretty dinner plates & bowls. Right now I'm looking for a pretty utensil holder. I've always hated mine ~ an engagement present.
  • Books: Recipe books are my vice. Specifically, Women's Weekly recipe books. However they are rarely found, as they are snapped up in a flash. I also look in the children's book section more now, to keep Miss Mischief's reading habit well fed.
  • Clothes: How could you not browse the clothing area? Right now I'm glancing at formal wear on behalf of Miss Sunshine, who will need a graduation outfit come December. I always look at denim skirts, shirts and jackets. Whenever the kid's wardrobes need a top up we start with Op Shops before heading to the local shopping centre. So depending on our needs, we also browse through that area too.
  • Sewing & Haberdashery: You never know when you'll find a magnificent offcut of something beautiful, or a jar full of pretty buttons....or the size crochet hook or knitting needles you need. Then there's wool for kid's projects and things like that.
What kinds of things to search for?

2 comments:

Left-Handed Housewife said...

I'm currently on the prowl for furniture ... specifically a desk and bookcase for Will's room. I'd like to make a habit of going to our nearby thrift store, especially for books for Jack.

I love finding things like old jars of buttons ... why are they so pleasing?

Have a great weekend!
Frances

Tracy said...

I don't know Frances, I think old buttons have so much more character than new ones. Or is it the variety of colours and shapes all in together.

I just know my button jar needs new friends for its current occupants to play with!