Tuesday 24 June 2008

Little Blessings

You know, I could write a great lengthy post about parental responsibility and how that relates to education. Goodness knows many bloggers have very strong opinions on the subject. I'm no different. My opinions just don't match up completely with many others LOL.

Rather than do that, I want to list all the blessings I receive by being hands-on at school, in my kids classrooms:

* I get to know my children's friends.
* We have an intimate understanding of where my kids are at, without needing reports or interviews.
* I have developed friendships with each staff member I have worked with, outside of being in their classroom. I have continued to help them out beyond having my kids in their classes on different occasions.
* My children know I'm serious about their education.
* We're able to deal with any issue (social and educational) as it arises, because we know about it early.
* We work together with our teachers to deal with difficult issues, rather than working separately. Our kids have received a well-rounded and supportive approach that has helped them immensely.
* Our teachers know that they are supported by us because of our actions, not just our words.
* Often, our teachers are able to focus on the task of teaching more fully, because I have been able to take on some admin type tasks for them.

My last blessing to mention is one that happened today! Miss Sunshine's teacher and her class had made a card for me, and gave me a little packet of dark chocolate (mmmmmmm...my favourite) to say thank you for the time I spent this term, with them. I will cherish that card long after the chocolate is gone! They are all so very special and I am indeed the one who has gained so very much. It is a true privilege to be made to feel that I am part of the class!

6 comments:

belinda said...

Hi Tracy,

This attitude of yours is one that I admire immensely. If more parents were actively involved in their children's education the strength and capability of our school communities would be greatly enhanced.

I understand that not every parent is able to be as involved as you are on a weekly basis.. it takes time that many two income households simply don't have. I have to admit though the my suspicion is that even if you didn't have the day time available you would be just as committed you would simply find other ways to express it.

My hope is that your children are able to appreciate, now or in the future, the gift they are being provided with.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Tracy said...

Thanks Belinda :) Our school makes it really easy to find lots of different ways, big and little, to lend a hand. I'm sure other schools are the same.

Tracy said...

Tracy,
I think it's wonderful that you spend so much time in your children's schools. So many parents today have no clue what their kids are up to, or even the name of their teachers. My oldest is in public school. I don't volunteer there because I homeschool, but on Open house days, I'm always there. I meet and talk at length with every teacher. I'm always surprised that in a school with 1300 students there are MAYBE 200 parents at these things.

Tracy said...

I don't know about you Tracy, but I love Open Days. Our kids usually ask if we can do something to help because THEY love being there too!!!!

Momala said...

Tracy,

I found your blog through the other Tracy's blog (Unless The Lord)

I agree with you on getting involved in your kids school. I try to be as involved as I can be at the different schools. It is a wonderful way to get to know the other kids, and the staff. Thanks for the great post!

Mindy

Tracy said...

Welcome Mindy ~ thanks for leaving a comment and letting me know you're there :)