Wednesday 28 May 2008

"Heather" by Debra White Smith

What's it about:
Heather Winslow is a young adult and heiress to the family fortune, made in oil. She begrudgingly agrees to her mother's insistence on a 'coming out' ball and to be interviewed by society reporter, Duke Fieldman. Initially put off by Duke's disdain for wealth, she is attracted enough by his good looks to arrange a date with him.

Heather and her two debutante friends love helping to solve high-profile crimes. Once they gather enough evidence, they pass on the information to the newspaper anonymously, along with a long-stemmed rose, earning the three friends the title of 'The Rose'. When the girls take on a high-profile murder, Heather discovers an opportunity to help Duke realise his dream of becoming an investigative reporter.

What I thought:
I really enjoyed this book. Initially Heather and her friends came across as a bit air-headed and ditzy. However, not very far into the book, Debra develops these characters with depth beyond their wealth and easy life. I enjoyed the way that Duke & Heather's relationship was developed and how they dealt with the challenges of bringing their two very different world's and life experiences together.

Book number 2 in this series, 'Lorna' is newly released. I will look forward to reading her story.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Sounds like an interesting book. I have another book by that same author entitled "Possibilities" but haven't had the chance to read it yet.

I read all the time and have so many books...quite a lot of them read but probably have almost as many unread. You see I love books and purchase them all the time...several at one time and I probably read half of them and then I see something else I want to read so some are left unread until I can get to them but you can be sure of one thing...I will get to them.

Julieann said...

I have never heard of this book--but I enjoyed your review:)

Very nice blog!

Julieann

Tracy said...

Dianne, I have heaps of books around the place too. I borrow a lot from my friend Rel, from Relz Reviewz. I work through the pile she hands me first, and then I work through my own personal TBR pile which seems to grow quite rapidly!

Welcome Julieann, thanks for stopping by :)