3 slices bread, roughly chopped
400g can chickpeas or three bean mix, drained & rinsed
1 carrot, peeled & chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
3 spring onions, thinly sliced (or a red onion, as in my case!)
1/2 cup grated cheese (whichever one you have and/or prefer)
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 sheets ready rolled frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Process the bread in a food processor until breadcrumbs form and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add chickpeas (or beans), carrot & zucchini to the food processor and process until finely chopped and well combined. Add to the breadcrumbs.
- Add spring onion, cheese & egg and mix well.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half. Place 1/4 of the mixture along the long edge of the pastry and roll. With the seam underneath, cut into three and place on the prepared tray.
- Brush with a little egg (or spray with oil) and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
If you have more people to feed than our five, then just add extra of any of the ingredients that suit your fancy and depending on what you have. It won't make too much difference, as long as the mixture is the right consistency, I think.
As I said yesterday ~ no one noticed that there was no meat involved. The filling was quite hearty enough and once wrapped in pastry, the multitude of motherly sins was sufficiently covered. Mr Busy didn't even mention the fact that perhaps there might have been beans in there!