Thursday 8 May 2008

My Quilting Education Has Begun

Last night I began my 'official' quilting education. Above is my evening's work (2hrs of sewing, unsewing and resewing!) So far, I've either followed instructions or muddled through different projects on my own. But my local quilt shop does various classes through the term, and this term has begun with a Block of the Month class that will teach participants lots (if not all) the different piecing methods, some applique and all sorts of other bits and pieces necessary for would-be quilters. Already I've learned that my ruler (the light green thing behind my block) has diagonal lines, and how to use that to make a diagonal cut on a triangle. I hadn't even realised those lines were there, really!!!! I also learned that I need a 1/4" foot for my machine (hence the unsewing mentioned previously!).

Over the next month I will need to make three more of these blocks for the completion of the quilt later. Next month we will do a different block, and again make three more for homework.

I have plenty of Thimbleberries scraps and pieces and leftovers from my 'Safe Haven' quilt (yet unfinished) so I've only had to buy a 2m piece of fabric thus far. Very cheap BOM project, I'd say!!!!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

VERY nice!

Anonymous said...

Your block looks great. I'm sure you won't have to unsew as much with the next block. Great colours.

Tracy said...

I won't have to unsew....because the quilt shop lady is ordering in a 1/4" sewing machine foot for me!!!!! LOL

Thanks for the lovely comments Tracy's. I'm very excited about this quilt!

Kittee said...

It looks lovely! And I'm so happy to have found your blog. :)

I am thinking about starting a quilt soon myself with all the scraps I have laying around, but nothing fancy like yours I assure you!

Tracy said...

Welcome Kittee! I've just popped over and taken a little squiz at your blog and thoroughly enjoyed myself!

You certainly have full days with working and keeping a home. However, I'm sure if you put your mind to quilting, and broke your goals for production down into bite-sized pieces (like making four simple blocks in a month, like my BOM class), that you'll do great. My quilt is all scraps and bits I had leftover, so if it looks good, it's because I followed someone elses instructions at some point LOL.

Kittee said...

Thank you for stopping by Tracy and for the quilting tips! Doing a few blocks at a time makes perfect sense!

Terri said...

It turned out beautiful! You may find the more you do, the less you have to rip out and start again. It just takes practice. :-)

Patricia said...

Your first quilt block is wonderful! You be a natural. Patricia

Anonymous said...

Looks great, well done!!