Tuesday 8 April 2008

Vegetable Lasagna

This is a fantastic recipe. It's pretty simple and super duper yummy. It also freezes and reheats absolutely beautifully, so you can easily make double and freeze half of it for another meal.

Vegetable Lasagna

250g packet frozen spinach, thawed
250g ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
810g tin crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons cornflour
2 cups milk
lasagna sheets
100g grated cheese

  1. Preheat oven to 180C
  2. Heat a little olive oil in a small pan and saute onion & garlic until onion is softened and transparent.
  3. Combine spinach, ricotta and nutmeg in a bowl.
  4. Combine tomatoes, tomato paste & herbs in another bowl. Divide the onion between the two and mix.
  5. Place the cornflour in a small saucepan and mix enough milk in to make a smooth paste, then add the rest of the milk. Stir constantly over a medium heat until thickened.
  6. Spread a little of the tomato mixture on the bottom of a glass baking dish and layer lasagna sheets over the top. Then layer as follows:
    Half the tomato mixture
    lasagna sheets
    ricotta mixture
    lasagna sheets
    remainder of tomato mixture
    lasagna sheets
    white sauce
    cheese
  7. Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
I made my own pasta last night and it was so delicate ~ definitely something I will do again! I also used 500g of ricotta last night and as a result I have enough for 3-4 serves to freeze for another night. Perfect for a night when I just can't fathom cooking a meal ~ it happens...even for one who loves to cook!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Your veggie lasagna looks real yummy, Tracy. I think I am going to try your recipe. Thanks for sharing. Do you cook the noodles ahead of time or do you use them dry?

Tracy said...

I didn't cook them ahead of time, and as I sat down to eat I wondered if I should, but it wasn't doughy or anything so I don't suppose it matters. I rolled the pasta dough out to number 2 on my pasta maker thingy so it was pretty thin.

Otherwise I use instant dried lasagna sheets and no, I don't cook those first either.

The hour cooking time seems to take care of it.

Anonymous said...

Yum-o! I love vegie lasgne.

Kate