Friday 4 April 2008

My Exile Is Over

Those of you who read Kate's blog at Our Red House will know that Victoria has had major wind storms this week, and power outages that are fairly widespread. While we were at Mum's place we had bad dust storms. We were home all day that day and just watched it go past. We were nice and warm and cosy and had all our little projects at hand to keep us occupied.

We got home at midday yesterday to no electricity. It had gone out at 2pm the day before. Not surprising ~ we were fully expecting it, as power outages in our area are common when there's a big wind. Gum trees and power lines are not good mates.

We spent the evening huddled around the fireplace (the first time we've lit it in the 2.5 years we've been here) to keep warm. We had out all our little fat squatty candles, kept for just such occasions. I nicked up and bought enough ingredients just for dinner ~ Singapore Noodles, which is cooked entirely on the cooktop. Thankfully that is gas and was no trouble, except to remember that it won't self ignite when the power is out! Interestingly, our main street, just 800m away had power!

The power came back on around 1am-ish. I am soooooo relieved! I have a mountain of washing to do and a fridge to clean out and re-shop for. After 30 hours only the un-defrosted meat is salvagable...and yes, the meat stayed frozen.

How wonderful to get up this morning and turn on the heater and television....and computer! I find power outages to be rather tiresome and somewhat draining. I just don't seem to cope very well with them. The only thing I could do was knit whilst it was daylight and read with the aid of a rechargable lantern (that was charged, thankfully!).

Oh...and PS from my last post ~ yes I will post photos as my projects are completed. As you can imagine, my sewing machine couldn't be used either!

5 comments:

Mrs. MK said...

Thank you for your very kind and very timely words on my blog. It really helps to know that others have been through hard times----you speak from experience, I'm sure. I'm off to learn more about you through your blog!

Tracy said...

I hope and pray that you will heal well from your loss and grief. I know what it is that you have lost and my heart aches for you in a way that only a mother knows.

My experience with grief was losing my very precious Mother-in-law. I loved her dearly and her passing knocked us all for six.

Dianne said...

Glad you safely survived the Dust Storms and the inconvenience of being without power. I have lived through such times and it definately is not fun. Camping out in front of a fireplace sounds like fun though.

Tracy said...

LOL Diannee. It might have been, had I not been so narky about not being able to do any of the things I needed to get done that required electricity.

I'm really not very nice when I have these unplanned extended periods without power. I need to work on that for next time...there will be a next time, to be sure!

Vickie said...

ohh Tracy I can sooo relate to power outages we get them very frequently here in rural areas..amazing how many things we need to do all of a sudden that require electricity-and dang there's an outage....my daughter is in vic and was saying on sat that they still had no power .....
cheers Vickie
(a blog lurker who thought it about time I pop out of lurkdom and say hi)