Sunday 20 April 2008

Feeling a Little Frustrated

I can completely relate to Tina when she posted recently about not being able to find wool.

My frustration this week has been in looking for dressmaking patterns for Miss Mischief. She was frustrated too! She loves to wear skirts, but we seem to have issues with the height (or rather the lack of it!) at which she feels comfortable wearing them! So she asked if she could have some dresses to eliminate this problem. Great, no problem. I will happily sew her a couple of dresses. In fact I rather the relish the opportunity. It's been quite a long while since I've had time to sew clothes. Do you think I can find patterns in her size to suit her likes? NOOOoooo! Not in a million years. In her size range there is nothing but mini little chickie babe very trendy stuff. She wants something tastefully feminine, perhaps a modernised version of something that might've been worn on 'Little House on the Prairie'. She loves frills and gathering, and a little bit of lace. But the only patterns like that are for 3yo's!

We found one pattern for a nightgown. She wants white flannel. I want a matching one!! I will be organising the fabric and pattern for that this week so that she can take the nightie away on school camp if she wants to.

Has anyone ever noticed that the winter pattern books have an awful lot of sleeveless summer garments in them?

9 comments:

Tracy said...

What size is she? My daughter is nine, but is nearly 5 foot tall. She wears a ready to wear girls size 14-16 most of the time. I can't find a young girl's pattern to fit her. I have started to make the womens pattern in the smallest size, and that works really well.

Also, check out the costume part of the pattern books. Lots of times they have old-fashioned goodies there.

Tracy said...

She's a girls size 10, or so. Australian sizes that is...no idea if the US is the same.

Thanks for the costume tip ~ I never thought of that. I will also scout out the op shops a little closer too. One of them in my town keeps patterns.

Anonymous said...

Oh it's such a shame there are so few nice patterns for little girls these days. Have you tried ebay?

Love, Tina :)

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I've just been catching up on your blog...I missed your birthday! So sorry...I hope you had a blessed day!

Love, Tina :)

Rachel said...

What about something like this?

http://www.modestsewingpatterns.com/

Would she like those patterns?

I can relate to how frustrating it is to find good patterns.

Tracie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracie said...

Hi Tracy,

The other day when I was doing some retail therapy in the local op shops I cam across some childrens patterns from the 50s 60s and 70s they were lovely and only .50c. When I'm off work on Thursday I will go and see if they still have them and check out the sizes. They were nice patterns with frills and stuff. not sure they whether they went to size 10.

Have a great day....

Erin said...

Hi Tracy!
I'm a new reader and I'm in North America, but I have some pattern sites bookmarked that you might be interested in! My daughter is only 5, but we're already having trouble finding dresses both she and I like....

www.sensibility.com
www.sewmamasew.com

a fun skirt perhaps? (tutorial)
http://houseonhillroad.typepad.com/photos/twirly_skirt/

this one is for vintage patterns:
www.sovintagepatterns.com

hope that is at all helpful!
:) Erin

Tracy said...

Thanks Tina. I did have an absolutely wonderful day...days actually!

Thanks for all your wonderful ideas on patterns for Miss Mischief, I am going to go surfing through all those sites.

Erin, welcome! It's nice to 'meet' you.