Tuesday 18 March 2008

Kumquats

We have a kumquat tree right outside the front door here at home. It is currently fruiting very nicely. So does one do with lots of kumquats on a really hot day? Why, you make microwave kumquat marmalade, of course!


I also used some to make a citrus drink to take out for lunch on Monday. That was just 3/4 cup of citrus juice (I used lemon and kumquat), 3/4 cup sugar. Dissolve the sugar. Add the sugar syrup, citrus juice to a 2 litre jug and top up with cold water. Serve when chilled. VERY refreshing!

PS. I apologise for the dust on the table. OMGoodness I didn't realise it was there til I looked at the photo!!

5 comments:

The Tin House said...

ssshhhh...no one else would have seen it if you hadn't pointed it out. I won't tell. I always wondered what you did with cumquats and now I know. I have a gorgeous lamb recipe where you baste the roasting meat with marmalade.

Tracy said...

I've never tried a kumquat. The drink sounds wonderful. Do they taste like oranges?

Tracy said...

Hmmmm....they are sour. And yes I guess they are a bit more like an orange in taste.

When I was a teen we had a tree at school (in PNG) we used to pick them and then dip the segments in caster sugar from the science lab. The staff always wondered where the sugar went!

They are little though. I wouldn't recommend juicing a lot of them! Takes too many and it's too fiddly.

Anonymous said...

The marmalade looks delicious and I can't even see the dust (I would have thought it was my dusty monitor anyway).

Tracy said...

LOL, that's very kind of you Tracy! I'm glad I'm not the only one.