Wednesday 6 February 2008

Washing Wednesday

Wet washing hanging on the line
Drying very quickly when the weather's fine
Along comes the wind and flaps it all about
Flip, flap, flip, flap blowing in and out.

On one of the frugal living websites I'm a member of, we've been talking about hanging washing, due to one of the US members not having a dryer. Being a good Aussie gal, I don't see how that's such a problem...but I have come to understand that hanging clothes out to dry is definitely a cultural thing!

The picture above is my washing. I have two clothes lines ~ one out the back and this one under the deck. I have enough space (but not enough pegs!) to hang six loads at once ~ but really, who wants to do that much washing in one day?! I tend to use this line because it's in my line of sight, so I don't forget to bring it in late in the afternoon. It also means that I don't have to worry if it rains and I'm not home, because it's under cover. The roof there is that clear corrugated stuff, so there's plenty of light & warmth to dry everything.

I love hanging out my washing. Not necessarily because I enjoy the task as such. But I do enjoy being outside listening the birds and my own thoughts. It's somewhat cathartic to do something that just requires 'being'. The task is simple enough that I can hear myself think. None of the kids are in a hurry to join me, lest they be given the task of helping! So whilst I'm saved from having my ears chewed off...they're saved from boring housework. I also love having the smell of sunshine on my clothes and linen when it's brought in. There is just nothing quite like it. I also actually like my towels on the stiff side. They're easier to fold and I like that they have some substance to them. In any case, after you've used them once they're softer. When my kids were in cloth nappies I hated having my nappies go through the dryer. They were too limp and to be honest, I didn't feel like they soaked up quite as much.

Now, if only I could enjoy the task of ironing I'd be all set!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your washing looks very organised. I wish my clothes looked that good on the line. I like the washing, hanging, folding and ironing but I hate putting it all away. In fact, I will go and do it now.

Debbie J said...

I have been trying to limit the use of our "old" dryer, but my menfolk still want their towels, jeans, and "undies" put through the dryer! LOL I guess before dryers came along everybody's laundry was stiff!

Tracy said...

Tracy, the trick to putting away is to get the kids to do theirs. No, it never goes away as neat as I'd like it. But it does get done that way!

Debbie, I think that's why I've come to the conclusion it's cultural. The only person I know who ONLY uses a dryer is my FIL. Most people have a dryer....but we've all grown up with clothes lines.

Lizzie @ her homeworld said...

Washing lines here too. Nothing beats the smell of line dried washing as you pick it in. In the summer i use the edge of the kids trampoline to sort it still outside too. I really miss it when winter comes along. I finally got a tumble dryer this winter to help me through the wettist of winter but as soon as the rain stops then it is back on the line.